Campo di Marte is the quarter where the most modern sports facilities in Florence stand. Being the quarter where the Artemio Franchi stadium is located and where the city's football team performs, it is well connected with all the city areas and it houses the second railway station in Florence
We're standing in one of the most important civic areas of Florence ľthe other is Piazza della Signoria. The Cathedral is built above the ancient and much smaller cathedral of Santa Reparata, and its construction began on September 8, 1296
The great pentagonal mass of the Fortress of San Giovanni is known to everyone as the Fortress "Da Basso" because it is located on the river plain.
Lungarno del Tempio is a fascinating place that, as suggested by its name, offers a wonderful and evocative walk towards the centre along the banks of the Arno river crossing Florence.
This piazza offers a world-renowned view across the city of Florence but, before arriving, make a stop at the attractive church on the right, San Salvatore al Monte. Built between the end of the 15th century and the beginning of the 16th, it was designed by Simone del Pollaiolo, known as "il Cronaca".
This gigantic palace was the city residence, first of the Medici dynasty and then later of the Habsburg-Lorraines. When Florence became the capital of Italy between 1865 and 1871, King Victor Emanuel II of the House of Savoy lived here.
Porta al Prato is one of the most ancient gates of the city and its construction dates back to 1284. It contains a fresco depicting the "Virgin Mary with the Holy Child and the Saints" attributed to Michele di Ridolfo and it is set on the Fratelli Rossetti Street and the Belfiore Street.
Ricorboli is a quarter on the bank of the Arno river.
Leaving Piazza del Duomo and going along Via Martelli, past the Medici-Riccardi Palace, you arrive in Piazza San Lorenzo which is dominated by the Basilica. Among the oldest and most venerated in Florence, San Lorenzo was consecrated in the year 393 by the great Bishop St Ambrose.
This grandiose Franciscan church is one of the masterpieces of Italian Gothic style and is the work of Arnolfo di Cambio who started it in 1294.
The church was begun in 1246 with a triple nave built on lightly pointed arches, and completed in 1360.
The powerful outline of the original, very simple fašade of the church of Santo Spirito is impressive. The grandiose interior with its three naves and large columns bears the imprint of Filippo Brunelleschi, who designed it around 1445.
The Basilica of the Annunciation stands in a Renaissance piazza with rounded porticoes and fine decoration. In the center, there is the equestrian statue of the Grand Duke Ferdinand I, a work from 1608 by Pietro Tacca who was responsible for the very original bronze fountains alongside.
One of the wealthiest merchants of Florence, Filippo Strozzi, built this grand edifice in 1489, in order to imitate, but also to rival, Palazzo Medici. Although the architect was probably Benedetto da Maiano, Simone Pollaiolo, known as "il Cronaca", was responsible for the very well developed, projecting eaves.
The Uffizi palace was designed by Giorgio Vasari in 1560 to house the administrative offices and the judiciary of the Duchy, later to become the Grand Duchy, of Florence.