Today's station is built where the Maria Antonia station used to be. This was planned and constructed between 1848 and 1851 in honor of the wife of Leopold II, Maria Antonia of the House of Bourbon ruling the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
This original railroad station linked Florence with Prato, Pistoia and Luca.
The present station was built between 1933 and 1935 by a group of Tuscan architects under the coordination of the famed Giovanni Micheluzzi. It is a fine example of functionality and, without repudiating modern interpretations, it happily fits into the pre-existing ambience. This is particularly evident in the fašade which looks out towards the Gothic tribune of the church of Santa Maria Novella.
The ticket office atrium is interesting for how elements of pure rationality are united to this monumental effect. Likewise the Palazzina Reale, the Royal Apartment, facing Piazza Adua. It was named thus because it was intended to receive the King of Italy.
However, this was not Florence's first station as, in 1847, the Leopoldian Railway Station was inaugurated.