The scenography of the courtyard of the Pitti Palace is completed by the elaborate Fontana del Carciofo, Fountain of the Artichoke, by Gian Francesco Susini which, along with the amphitheater, introduces the Boboli Gardens.
The amphitheater was build in the 17th century with six tiers of steps in order to provide a venue for outdoor shows.
There are many architectonic works which help to ornament the gardens, but the Isolotto, positioned at the end of the long, majestic avenue of cypresses, presents a truly splendid architectural and scenographic vision. This is the achievement of the architect Alfonso Parigi the younger, who made it in 1618. He wanted to enhance with yet a further play of water the Fontana dell'Oceano that Giambologna had previously designed and built.
As you walk through the Boboli Gardens, do not miss the grandiose Stanzone dei Limoni, or Lemon House, a large building from the second half of the 18th century which provides a hothouse for ornamental lemon trees.
Close by the Palazzo Pitti is Largo San Felice, where there is the medieval church of the same name. Restructured in the 15th century, and again in the 17th, the church possesses a beautiful 14th century painted cross by the school of Giotto.